Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for International Nurses wishing to work in Canada.

What are the processes involved in relocating to Canada?

  • Selection & Recruitment
  • Application & Licensure
  • Immigration

Why should I work with Trillium?

  • Trillium has contracts with a number of employers across Canada to recruit healthcare professionals.
  • Trillium provides Internationally Educated Healthcare Professionals with the knowledge they need to proceed with relocating to Canada as quickly and easily as possible by providing:
    • CV Consultation o Interview Preparation
    • IELTS Assistance from staff who have written the Academic IELTS exam.
    • One-on-one Support.
    • Team of knowledgeable, caring, culturally diverse staff with international education and experience.
    • Access to online study material and a Clinical Educator to prepare for the CRNE. Speak to your Project Coordinator for details.

How can I prepare to work in Canada?

  • Be committed to the process.
  • Ensure your Nursing Board(s) and/or previous and/or current employer(s) can provide proof of licensure (Verification of Registration) to a Provincial Board in English.
  • Obtain a valid Passport, Birth Certificate or Notarized Birth Affidavit, and Marriage Certificate (if applicable) in English.
  • If you are from a non-English speaking country, be prepared to provide proof of English fluency by writing IELTS or TOEFL.
  • Speak with your Coordinator about the fees you must pay and save accordingly. You will be reimbursed for a large portion of your fees by your Canadian employer.

How can I increase my chances of being offered a nursing job?

  • Maintain consistent communication with your Project Coordinator throughout your relocation.
  • Follow your Project Coordinator's instructions.
  • Have at least 2 years of experience as a Registered Nurse.

How do I apply to a provincial board?

  • Contact a Trillium Project Coordinator for assistance.

How much money will I make?

  • Wages differ from province to province. The amount of money you will earn will be determined by one or more of the following factors: years of experience, your employer, and your Nurse's Union.

Can I bring my family?

  • Your family must qualify for a VISA and arrive according to the timelines set by your employer. Most employers require International Nurses to initially travel alone to prepare for the CRNE and find permanent housing for their spouses and children.

When do I resign from my current job?

  • Your Project Coordinator will advise you when to submit your resignation.

When do I write the CRNE?

  • You will write the CRNE as soon as a seat is available after your arrival. The CRNE is written in February, June, and October.

How many times can I write the CRNE?

  • You can write the CRNE as many times as your employer will permit. Most employers allow candidates two opportunities to pass.

How long can I work in Canada?

  • You can work in Canada for the duration specified on your Job Offer/Contract; most contracts are issued for 1-2 years. If an employer is happy with your work performance, your employer may extend your contract or assist you in applying for permanent residence.

How long will it take to relocate to Canada?

  • The length of time required to relocate to Canada is determined by the following factors:
    1. Your ability to ensure the documents required by the parties identified by your Project Coordinator are provided in a timely manner.
    2. The current average processing times at the Provincial Board and Immigration.