Employment in Canada under NAFTA

Q. What Does NAFTA Do for Registered Nurses?
A. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allows registered nurses to seek and accept temporary employment in Canada in the Professional category. The Professional category of NAFTA allows Canadian Immigration officers to issue temporary work permits to persons.

Q. What General Requirements Apply to Entry to Canada Under NAFTA?
A. Anyone applying to enter Canada under NAFTA must meet the following general requirements. They must:

  • Be citizens of the United States or Mexico
  • Be seeking temporary entry only
  • Meet all other Immigration requirements for temporary entry to Canada including those related to documentation required to establish identity and the protection of public health, safety and national security.\

Employment in US under NAFTA Criteria
To qualify as a Professional under NAFTA, you must meet the following criteria:

  • hold Canadian citizenship
  • be engaged in an occupation that is recognized by NAFTA
  • meet either the educational requirements or have alternative credentials for your field
  • have pre-arranged employment or a contractual agreement with an employer in the US
  • meet existing immigration requirements for temporary entry

Licensure for Nurses - U.S.A

  • NCLEX-study & preparation required, this exam is recognized by all US states
  • Processing times, fee and requirements will vary from state to state
  • Process takes approximately 6-8 weeks once you get your visa screen

For more information on exam prep info for NCLEX review visit www.hcprofessionals.com

Immigration - U.S.A.

  • Green Card eligibility under skilled worker
  • Change of Status/ H1 applications
  • Must have Visa Screen
  • Spouse and children can relocate but cannot work
  • Common-law spouses are not eligible.