In order to obtain licensure as a nurse (RN or LPN/LVN) in the United States, it is important to note that licensure requirements differ from state to state. Therefore, be sure to contact the Board of Nursing in the state where you wish to practice in order to verify the respective and current licensure requirements. Please visit the web site of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing ( for a listing of each U.S. State Board of Nursing and licensing jurisdiction, with appropriate contact information. Also keep in mind that endorsing (transferring) licensure to another state will also have different procedures depending on the respective state.

It is also necessary to obtain a visa in order to legally work in the U.S., whether that be a temporary or permanent visa; however, detailed information regarding visa application and policy should be obtained from BCIS. You may wish to check out their web site at